Wednesday, November 22, 2006

This is sad.....


My nephew will stop being my student from next month. It took him 6 yrs to come to the centre to enrol and now his dad (my cousin) has decided to take him out.

From the very beginning, his mom never liked the idea of him being under my care. (this is not just a goSSip!) When both parents were first called for Orientation, she made such a big fuss. She even called when we had started the Orientation to ask for direction to the centre, when it's only 3 minutes walk from her house. (to me, that's to show how disinterested she was) .

Anyway, after persuasion from her husband, they enrolled "my nephew". I've never really met my nephew before that. Yeah..that was already sad!

From the day he was enrolled, she never had anything nice to say about it. She'll always complain of how terrible his marks were, and how little progress he's made.

Anyway, last month, "my nephew" has been collecting homework and never passed up his homework, claiming that he's there straight from school. I warned him last week and wanted to wait till today, before I decide to make a move to tell "my cousin". However, before I even get to do that, he called me yesterday. Actually to find out how his son is doing and if he still owes us.

I told him about the missing homework, and he told me about how badly his son has done in the last exam. So I decided to tell him that he will only show positive progress if he changes his attitude and starts to be serious about doing his work daily. At that point, he decided that this method doesn't work.

To me, it'd work if he's given the chance to change and given a lot of encouragement, not just from daddy, he'd show some progress. But thinking about how much effort "my nephew" has done and still never got any kinds of acknowledgement from his mom, ...I feel that I should back out. It's already a family thing, and I should not get involved.

However, today, "my nephew" had tears in his eyes when he told me he will have to stop coming to the centre. He almost shed those tears when I told him he can always come by to the centre if he wants to and I'd always be there to help....even not as a student. After all, it's only 2 mins by bike, 3 mins if walking and 30 secs by car!!!

No comments: