Sunday, November 26, 2006

We made it!!! 200!!!

I think meetings with parents are very important. That's why, I've decided to meet parents on a one on one basis every Tuesday and Friday morning. So far I've met quite a few.
I sent messages to mothers with children not showing progress so much for the last few months. During this time, I can evaluate also how much commitment parents are giving to ensure their children's success.
From now on, I'm going to use my students' names when I tell something about them. I am running out of names to call them, so it's only fair if I use their first names.
Finally, we have reached the aim we've set months ago. We have slightly more than 200 students now. I was just counting the other day.
Samantha is taking a break from the Standard 6 exam but will be coming in January together with her 5 yr old sister.
Last Friday, in the Pre Kindy class I saw how little children socialize and thought how easy it is for them, compared to adults at times. Inesh and Kayla both 4 were sitting next to each other when doing their work. When i was taking something and not loking Inesh asked Kayla quickly what he name was. Kayla went like this, "Hi, I'm Kayla and I'm 4. How old are you?" It just made me laugh because they even shook hands.
Alif who is 6 started when he was 4. From the beginning he had problem in holding his pencil. No matter how we taught him, he'll always end up holding the pencil the way he does. Now he's doing an advance level, but still holding his pencil that "wrong" way. However, I have no complains about his writing. It's usually neat and acceptable. I had a meeting with his mom on Friday. She brought up the issue, telling how his school teacher are telling her off for not training him to hold the pencil properly. His mom, later told me that her husband, till now, must be about 40 plus, is still holding his pen the way Alif does. So......I rest my case.

No comments: