Saturday, June 03, 2006

While I was teaching.......


This week has been quite smooth at the centre. I take the opportunity to interact more with my students. Even though that's what I've been doing , at times when things get busy, I can only have 1 minute of quality time with each one of them before they go back. So, this week, all English students get to read with me and the little ones got more hugs from me.

Seeing me being so free, Little Mr Hindustani (again!!!) wanted extra attention. He's been trying to do this every now and again, but yesterday was a classic case. Usually when he tells me that he has a little cut on his hand or on his leg, I would personally get a plaster and tend to it. Sometimes, when I see the cut is too small to make such a big fuss out of it, I'd tease him, telling him that maybe I should call the ambulance. That usually get him to laugh and forget about trying to stop doing his work.

Well, yesterday, when he came in, he complained that one of his fingers was in pain. As usual, I showed a little concern. Seeing that from me, he actually asked me to "massage" his finger. Can you ever imagine asking your teacher to massage your finger?????? I did anyway! but laughed so much while doing it.

My English area looks so much better now, with the bookshelf up and all the books there. Mr Korean Boy saw all the books being donated by my graduated students and got curious and ended up promising me that he'll donate all his books to us soon. What luck huh? Maybe I'll open a mini library not just for my students but for the children in the area. We'll see how it goes.

I love meeting parents. However, at times, I have to spend more than one hour talking to them. By end of the day, I'd feel all drained out. However, meeting parents will give them a better idea of what their child/children are doing at the centre. One time I had a "very difficult" student. I never gave up on my student but I had to with this one. How would you give up on students if their parents keep telling them they cannot stop coming to the centre? Well......you first talk to them nicely, if that fails, you talk to them sternly, if that fails again talk to them with frustratation written all over your face, .....if that fails again, ignore them for a few classes....the last resort would be.....tell their mom that you don't think there's chemistry between the two of you and it's better for them to stop before more damage is done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»