Tuesday, August 15, 2006

To be or not to be...that is the question!




Today we did a major change in the classroom again. The last time we did, we separated the English area from the Maths area, but after seeing a centre in Bangkok and how effective it is to separate the preschoolers from the bigger students, we decided to make that change. So today, we managed to first move some bulky cabinets to another area, and to our surprise, the classroom is now bigger. Ms Italiano is no longer lonely at the English classroom all by herself.

Tonight I got some ideas to get all the preschoolers to come in at certain hours. Yes...I'm going to do just that. So, preschoolers only come in on Tuesdays and Fridays from 3:00 to 4:00pm. If they join in this session, they'll get to learn something extra once a week, like singing or getting to know flags and other.....we'll come up with something. And with this session, I will let my staff to come at 11.00 and they will have to join in the session as well. Great...I'm getting ideas and sharing it here.

Yesterday, a few of our students cried. Funny isn't it? When one decided to cry, a few will do the same too. The first cry came in right after we opened our door. Little Baby Talk 5 year old came in looking sad. He was brave enough to come straight to me and told me that he wants to "QUIT". I didn't give him the "surprise" look, instead, i held his hand and looked as sad and using the same tone of voice said, "you want to quit? why? you don't want to do your homework?" without giving him a chance to talk, i went on...."What if I give you half of what you're doing now?" again, without waiting for his respond, i went on..."but if you quit i'll have to give you double!!!" without hesitation and a little smile...he nodded and agreed! he he he

A few hours after that, little miss 5 year old cutie came in with her teary eyes. Looking confused with her bag, she came to me. My Mrs Admin whispered to me to tell me that she's been crying. Ok, after Little Baby Talk's incident, I knew what was coming. I asked cutie "Why did you cry? Is it because of your homework?" She shook her head. I was confused, but I think she was confused with my question. I asked her the same question again....again she shook her head. When I rephrased the question twice, and when she finally understood me, I was right. She was having problem with the workload. And guess what I did???? I used the same script!!!!!!!! and it worked!

No comments: