Thursday, February 08, 2007

My 23 year old student who had brain tumor (Anna) is making a lot of progress. From the time she came in, she's progressed from counting dots (1-20) to recognition of dots to counting 1-120 to being able to fill in the blanks with missing numbers. Soon she'll be tested and will start on addition 1!!! I'm quite excited for her.

To me, the two days she comes in is like a therapy session for her. She is quite moody at home I was told, so I wanted to help her with that as well(if I can). A few weeks ago, I told her that I get moody at times too and hearing that, it makes her realize that I'm also normal. So she listened to me. I told her I think of nice things. I told her I like to think of nice places where the air is cool, the wind is just nice. At times I think of ice-creams, nice caramalized apple or strawberries. I even think of all the smiles I get in the pre kindy room every day.

On Thursday, she told me that she had a fight with her sis. in the end she had to tell Dear Sis to think of nice things...like what she was told by me. I asked her what caused the fight. She said her sis said she's lazy and not working and not doing anything. She turned around to her and said that she has important things to do....like her homework given by me.

It's quite sad at times thinking how a child, trapped in a 23 year old body, and people, not even their siblings, are not taking that seriously.

Here's to Anna......I wish happines to your future and for you to be able to feel what it's like to be a real adult. I also wish that one day, you'll be treated as a person capable of doing good deeds to the people around you.

No comments: