Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Being Ernest

I am very proud of my first graduate called Ernest. I have been quite shy to write about him, simply because I didn't really have to guide him that much when he was progressing step by step, at his own pace.

However, now, I want to write about him, because I feel proud that I have a student like him. I know I have given him all the moral support he needed when he was my student.




At the age of 15, he took 2 Maths papers. He was confident enough to take "O" level and "A" level papers. He scored the highest in the WORLD!!!! He took an international paper, so the test was actually meant for students using the British program throughout the world. The year after that, he concentrated on his science subjects, and came out top in Malaysia for Chemistry and Physics.

Last year, he was accepted in Imperial College, London. Many years ago, I have walked outside the campus and dreamed of visiting again for my ... well.... children. Children??? Somehow, when I heard Ernest was accepted there, I felt like "my" child was accepted there.
Last week, my heart was feeling so light. Ernest came back for his Easter Vacation and brought the news that he came out TOP!!!! in his class of 300 something, scoring 370/400. Not just that, he was also accepted into Cambridge University.....where he's always wanted to be!!! Many years ago, I told him about my grandfather going there for his Civil Engineering and Ernest told me that's where he wants to go. I'm glad he finally has been accepted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi tried to post this comment earlier but was not successfully. Wanted to tell that I will be borrowing your Ernest story... until I have my own 'Earnest'. Already did that for today's Parents' Orientation.
ladybird

Leonie said...

Congratulations!