Friday, September 14, 2007

Fasting month

First day of fasting was good yesterday. I didn't have any difficulties. A few non muslim students asked how it's like and I answered them.

Ishan asked me if I was hungry. I told him I was and can't wait to eat at about 7:15pm for breaking fast.

We had a few Muslim students who came to the centre and fasting. They were as young as 8 and they were fasting.

When I was 8, my parents never really pushed me to fast. When I was with my cousins, I would try to fast for half a day. I would challenege myself the next day for longer fasting time.

Fasting to me is like a test for a person of how much a person can take. Not just from not eating and drinking, but also how well they can handle their everyday situation despite fasting. How a person can stay calm and not getting angry over little things.

My Korean students told me that they cannot imagine they can fast the way we do, ever. I could not imagine myself fasting when I was their age.

No comments: