Saturday, December 15, 2007

High Achievers' Camp 2007

I just came back from a 3 days 2 nights camp. It's called camp simply because the students were camping....the instructors??? We spent 2 nights at a nearby resort.

The students had so much fun from day one. Instructors were bored to tears on day one.

However, my life changed after day two when I was put up for an auction. Out of the 20 instructors participated, I was one of the 9 chosen to be the Hero on auction. The children had earlier made some origami. All the origamis were their money. I was worth 150 origami. The highest priced was 800 origami and the cheapest was 50 origami. I'm somewhere in between.

I was involved on all the games and planning of their presentation that night. I left it up to the children. Two other instructors were also heroes of Company Bravo.

Around 300 children were divided into 3 companies: Alpha, Bravo and Charlie. Each companies were again divided into 3 age groups. They were called PRIVATE, SERGENT and MAJOR. Pat (instructor) was in charge of the Privates, Ms Ipoh (instructor) was in charge of the sergents and I was in charge of the majors (age:15 and above).

I was asked to help in all the games. What was so memorable was playing in the rain. I have not done that for many years and even though I opt to wear my "pink raincoat" and were laughed at by the boys, I had so much fun.

I am now promoting to my high level students to participate next year. I witnessed what I would call priceless. Children of different ages, races and background being able to work together as a team.

No comments: