Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Tanusia oh Tanusia

In April this year, I approached a mom with down syndrome child to try out during our Free Trial campaign. I shared with her the success of an existing student. My existing student was 4 when she joined us. She is now 6 years old and doing the last part of Addition and Subtraction. She did her test and should be doing the next level of multiplication.

Back to Tanusia. She's 11 and has never been to a proper school. Her mom was reluctant to enroll her. I let her watch Rhea (existing down syndrome student) did her work and Tanusia's mom was very impressed.

Tanusia has been my student ever since. She's now filling in the blanks with numbers (up to number 220). I tried testing her, but she's not quite ready yet. By end of this week, she should be ready.

Tanusia gives me so much joy in being a teacher. She makes me laugh and smile all the time when she's at the centre. She'd imitate the way I sit, and sometimes would come to the centre with earrings and lipstick. According to her mom, it's just to show me how nice she can look.

No comments: