Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Getting into the groove.

The World Cup is over and done with. I can't say I totally ignored the event. I had to take interest. Everyone was talking about it, even seven year old "coke bottle" glasses boy. Remember the olden days when we used to drink coke from the bottle? how thick the bottles were from the bottom???

14 year old soccer freak has been a student of mine since he was 7. Being a typical sportsman, his main interest was only sports. I remembered when he started to take interest in the F1 car racing, I started to watch it too. I had to take interest. I even bought a Ferrarri t-shirt and wore it to class so that he would take interest. He has come a long way. Still missing his homework, he's still coming here twice a week and still calls himself a student to me.

At times, as a teacher, we just have to take interest in our surroundings. If you ask me, I don't think F1 racing is all that cool. So loud and fast and so much money involved, and how much it contributes to the air pollution. Ah well.....it's just my opinion. However, I have to know how Schumacker looks like or at least know when the event is happening in my own country.

During the world cup, we saw so many boys wearing football jerseys. Brazil, England, Australia, Argentina..... colourful.

Yesterday, a few came in the class telling me proudly how they stayed up to watch the final match. 4 years ago, 14 year old soccer freak and I talked about the games, and this year, we talked about it again. I was just telling him, in 4 years time, we'll not be able to because he'll be off to college. Made me kind of sad in a way.

Now I can imagine what it's like for mothers to have their children going away from them. I experince it all the time. It's like a yearly event for me and I still feel kind of sad.

7 comments:

Maurice_Basilius said...

Thanks for the comment. I know that they think they are equiping their children for life, but in so many ways they are also damaging them. The United States has a very definitive trend that is a combination of some Asian American influences and hyper achieving us born parents that is churning out a generation of stressed out, neurotic kids (and all the incumbent self medication with drugs, things, food, sex).

I will read the rest of your blog, interesting stuff.

Leonie said...

So cool to see a Kumon blog - I have often thought of starting one! I run a centre in Sydney - used to run one in Adelaide before our move....

Serendipity said...

Hi Myende! I can't believe I didn't see any of that soccer thingy on my TV. I did see Dora the Explorer. My two year old likes watching Dora. Have you seen that cartoon?

I haven't heard from you in a while, I hope everything's great with you.

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»