Saturday, September 16, 2006

Mentally Challenged VS Emotionally Challenged

On Wednesday I had a full day seminar, learning about how to handle children with learning disability. There are many types of learning disabilities. At times it makes me wonder why god wants to test a couple by giving them a mentally challenged child. I know for a fact, even though i'm not a mother yet, that having a child is already a challenge in itself.
In my 8 years as a teacher, I've crossed path with a few. I'll always remember them, because I would be the only one to teach them on a one to one basis. My very first was Mr Bollywood. He was diagnosed with ADHD with a slight Autism. 2 in 1!!!! He started when he was 6. Now he's 11 and is still a student in my centre. He was a perfectionist. At first, I didn't know how to stay calm when he chose to do his work while playing combat in his mind. While doing the work, he would suddenly disappear under the tables and suddenly I could only hear his voice calling out "NO WHERE TO HIDE!!!" He has come a long way. Being 11, he's an advance student now, but he's still the ADHD with slight Autism person I was introduced to 5 years ago.

I had 3 brothers with different challenges. Big Bro was a slow learner, Middle child was an authistic child with visual problem and little brother had Dyslexia. All three of them travelled 1 and a half hours weekly by car just to attend a class for 30 mins. When they came, everyone had to make way. They all had angelic face, being a Eurasian, they were adorable.


Mr Politician who was an authistic child would shake hand with everyone before he settled down to start his work. While doing his work, he would stop when someone new would walk in the classroom. He'd greet them and shake hand with them before he continues.
My most challenging one would be Young master Kung Fu. I had to do all sorts of self defence just to make him complete what's assigned to him.
I have to admit, in the early days, I would at times get nightmares the night before I was going to face these children. I have learned to accept that I have been the chosen one!!! to have to deal with them, in their learning years.

No comments: