Monday, December 18, 2006

Quick thinking.


In getting students to recognize numbers, we've experienced a lot of funny moments. Some students took months to just recognize 1-10. Some can be very fast. For the ones that take a long time, we sometimes have to find ways to get them to remember. At times we have to associate the numbers with everyday things. Many times we run out of ideas and starts using the sensory method. This is when we get students to make the movement of the numberws with their finger.


Today Aidan, who started without recognizing numbers, is now doing long multiplication. He's feeling lazy all the time nowadays, and today he had to complete his correction in front of me. He hated it. I knew it but didn't acknowledge that. I told him, we're doing a challenge game today, and told him our weapon would be the erasers. We both had to look at the mistakes and the first one to identify the mistake should erase it. Everytime we do it, we give points. The first one to reach 10 points win. Being the competitive me, i didn't give him a chance until i scored 5 points. I knew after that, he'd want to win too. I was right. After that he was more alert in identifying his mistakes. I was pleased.

3 comments:

Yam Plant (: said...

Quick Thinking. Your blog titles explains everyhing ,well.. maybe some.Anyway i think u can write. You are a born writer. you know, you should rite books .its a good idea you know. Why not try?Just my advice.

Your neice,
Maryam

p.s Im looking through your blogs
but im finished now.Sent you an email too,just saying incase you are loooking here in ur blog.

Girlie said...

I am so proud of myself for recalling your blog address. I just wanted to wish you happy holidays!

Stop by sometimes, my kids are growing, and it seems that they're my main topic of conversation. :)

I didn't know you teach also older students. I have an impression that they're a whole lot younger than these two here.

Yam Plant (: said...

Ende When are you going to write more blog entries? I did some already in mine .
Galeria'sOnlineDiary.blogspot.com

Ok ende. bye
From,
Maryam.