Monday, June 26, 2006

Are we really the third?????

Now is the time of the year that a lot of students decide to whether they should work through summer or take a break. A lot have already decided to take off in the whole month of August. That means, less income for us and that also means i'll have deficit of income. Urrrgh! business talk. I wish I can just teach and not care about that at all.

Anyway, my staff and I have decided to distribute flyers around the neighbourhood tomorrow. So, we'll all be in jeans and t-shirts, walking around the neighbourhood.

The last time I did that was 7 years ago. My then partner and her husband and her daughter went around the neighbourhood. I was many times surprised by the barking dogs, chased by them and bitten alive by mosquitoes.

The other day, my brother and I went to the apartment nearby and the guards agreed to help us out to put the flyers in the mail boxes. When I sent my brother again to give them the flyers, they rejected him. they said it's not allowed. I had to go back and see the guard who agreed and everything went well. It's funny how people here work sometimes. However, I have doubts now.... did they really help us? Or just took what I gave them to shut me up.

Recently, in the newspaper, we were shocked by the survey some people did about rudeness. We were third in the world. WOW!!!! I'm going to use that fact to promote curteous in the centre. Thank you mam! Thank you sir! Should I teach them to bow too????

Seriously, I think all that comes not only from home. The school system should add a subject about it. I remember learning all that in my civics class. We were even taught to pull the chain in the toilet after using it. Actually, that's all I can remember from my civics class.

In the centre, we introduced a little dust pan and a small broom for the students to use to clean their tables. At first we did see some students being reluctant, after awhile, they're used to it. Little Floopy Head always cleans the tables before he even started his work. My little helper. When asked, he said at home he wasn't allowed to do anything like it. Poor boy! Today, Little Miss Punjabi and Little "my mom was my teacher's class mate" were both cleaning everyone's tables. It's funny because they were not asked to. I did thank them by the way.

1 comment:

Serendipity said...

Wow...3rd in rudeness really? Did you happen to notice Philippines there? I wonder where they rank.

It's always a great idea when a school promotes courtesy. It's a plus when a person have it. Courteous doesn't mean pushover.