Thursday, June 22, 2006

Latest Update......

Little Miss Yokohama, she forgave me and turned around to look for me as soon as she heard my voice and gave me a big big smile when I looked back at her.....phew!

Recently, we started a reading competition for the English students. Using the 56 Recommended Books by our company, we told students that every end of the month, we'll count how many books everyone has read and the top 5 readers will be given a book voucher. Most of them never even asked about the prize but started to read non stop. Mr Dyslexic Artist and his brother who told me recently that they "hate reading!" are actually competing against each other. To date, both have read more than 15 books in a week.

I'm actually very happy about the progress of our readers. Sometimes, children need some kind of motivation. I only started reading a lot when I was 12. I must have read more than 100 books in 2 months. I can clearly remember because "Sweet Dreams" at that time had 120 books altogether and I read them all.....which was funny because I needed "romance" to motivate me.

Today I had to be in charge of the English Area. Our English teacher, Miss Italiano could not make it today. Little Labenese has always been a shy boy. I remember once I could not resist to kiss him, (sorry, I can't help it! It usually happen when I see girls and boys under 5 years old) and as soon as I turned back to walk to my sittting area, I heard noises like something was falling. IT WAS HIM!!!! His knee got weak after the kiss.

He read to me and was always distracted by the pictures. Looking at the picture of a big boat, he told me his dad is an engineer. Looking at the picture of sanwiches, he told me about how Mr Bean made his sandwiches and when he saw a picture of a spotted lizard, he started to talk about dinosaurs. I let him talk and at times he was mumbling about other things. I was just adoring his face today. I guess that was part of his lesson, talk freely, while dear teacher just nod and said "really??"