Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Misspelled or misguided?????


Can you remember how we were made to memorize the spelling of 10 or more words of English and at the end of the day we were asked to spell? As far as I can remember, I never scored 100%. It was upsetting being the competitive person I am. However, I had to endure that humiliation for years.

I wish someone would tell me the best way to learn at that time. I'm still trying to figure out what formula my teacher used on me to enable me to spell better.

I do remember looking up for every single word in a dictionary just to understand what it's all about. If I'm not wrong, the first book I read was "The Emperor's New Clothes" (http://hca.gilead.org.il/emperor.html). It took me awhile to understand that the King was actually tricked and ended up wearing nothing in front of his people. When I said "it took me awhile" I meant like for years..... so embarassing!!!!

I was introduced to Dyslexic (http://www.medicalhelpers.com/medical_illness/dyslexia.html) which is a Learning Disability in Children about 6 years ago. A child will have difficulties in reading and recognition of alphabets or recognition of words if they have this disorder. I can't imagine trying to read but not being able to when all your friends are progressing in reading. It's pretty sad, but it's never too late to get help. My student, Little Thumb Sucker took pretty long to read and spell. He's still a student with dyslexic problem but he can read and write quite well now. Not quite at par to his age but he's almost there.

My only formula for children with learning disabilities would be to never stop encouraging them, no matter how tiresome it can be. It may take weeks, it may take months or it may take years, but with patience, it'll happen.

By the way, the picture was drawn by a dyslexic student in the centre. Did you know they see things differently???....they actually get a different visual from we do???? So, that explains....about my potrait!!!!!!

No comments: