Friday, June 16, 2006

to be or not to be????


Parents always want what's best for their children. I guess I'll be the same if put in the same situation. My parents must have wanted the same thing....maybe that's why they secretly destroyed my application to a boarding school when I was 12. I badly wanted to be accepted but months later, I was told they never got my application. Somehow, someone let the cat out of the bag and I found out. So sad, but like always, have to look at it positively. If I were to be accepted, I would not play tennis in the hot sun till I got "black". Oh yeah! and also I would not have the chance to torture my brother much. Torture???? made him dance to the tune of Michael Jackson and Culture Club on the coffee table!!! That was actually entertaining.

In my early days, I told parents children can start at any age because in some countries, like Japan, children as young as 18 months are allowed to start their education. My youngest, so far, must have been about 2 years old. It was not that easy to first get their attention and interest at the same time. However, children are full of surprises. After months of inputs (or I call it suffering on my part!!) at times, some can surprise us with outputs.

I've stopped taking children too young now because some (actually ALL!!!) parents will start to put presssure on their children when they start to see progress. In the end, the children get all stressed out and there goes our hope of a long term joy in learning. Only if parents can let their children grow gracefully.....just like how they hope to age gracefully.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

:0 did know you can play tennis
ladybird

Anonymous said...

I think I have to enroll in your center, myende, to improve my rading complrehension skills because I have absolutely no idea what playing tennis has to do with your blog (as written above)
Anyway, good blog, like you alluded to in your blog, one must have the joy of learning-if it ceases to be fun, then, it won't last at all. The key is to have them associate study with fun. BTW, I like the pic you chose, t'was a familiar scene in my childhood-snow covered parking lots to trudge through.
Look forward to more.

Minimalista Wannabe said...

I did play tennis from the age of 12 till i had to move to the city...when i was about 15. i was the vice president of our school's tennis club by the way!!!
Apart from tennis, i also played netball, handball, hockey and other local games. In what i wrote, i had to include what i used to play before just so that you'll know how normal I was....ha ha ha.
to me, playing outside and being involved in a team is a good way to build self confidence as well. apart from practicing hard to make yourself excel in the game, you also learn how to work as a team. it's not always about you, you and you. at times, you have to give way to your team mate....
by the way....i don't think you have problem with your comprehension..you seem to understand what i wrote. but if you do want to enrol in my centre, you have to be tested and you have to go through some orientation pragram.....he he he

Anonymous said...

;) I mean I didn't know you play tennis. ;)
Ladybird

Serendipity said...

Hi Myende, I noticed the comments link is not on the latest blog.

Be glad you didn't go to boarding school...some of them sucks.

As for mood swings? I noticed that if I shower, or bath with my favorite book and do nothing else, I can stop being mad or angry.

If that doesn't work, I go out and walk or jog or run, or shop.

I just noticed your comments about being "black." Why do parents in Asia worry about that so much? I remember when I was with my parents they always say..." take night time tennis lesson, or only on very early morning coz I might turn dark" or what about no swimming during summers.

Here in the states, we don't seem to do that. We just say, "make sure you have your sunscreen on!"

Minimalista Wannabe said...

Hi Serendipity

I don't know how to undo it...the comment thingy. And I adore your blog where you have all those listings at the sides...would you teach me how to do it?

In South East Asia now, the media is giving ideas what it means to be an ideal beauty. a beautiful woman is one with white skin and long straight hair. There are so many beauty products giving women hope to be that way. skin whitening creams, shampoos that can make your hair straight and silky. So, children and adults have that vision in their mind to be just like that.
I think I used black, and not dark, because of that influence.
But, you know something, now i am trying to change that. I have always been darker.
Thanks for the tips...as a mother of 5, I think you're great!
i have been reading your blog! keep writing!

Serendipity said...

Myende, you are so right about the "black" comment. That's what my mother would actually say. She was plenty horrified when I went to my cousin's beach resort and actually *gasp* snorkel and dived and got a really dark tan.

Serendipity said...

I've added an e-mail link to my site, e-mail me. I'll walk you thru editing your link. We can even shop for new templates if you like.

Maurice_Basilius said...

Ah Ladies..

Keep the tan, move to San Francisco. I can assure you the boys here will be lining up at your door with flowers and their best suits!

One man's humble opinion!